Family Favorites

Family Favorites
The love of a family is life's greatest blessing

Friday, May 27, 2011

How to Entertain Six Kids

I was running errands with JJ when suddenly I was asked for a big favor.  My friend needed me to watch his two daughters while he played at a gig for an hour.  I was at first concerned because I was at lunch with JJ and Nathaniel and we were enjoying our time together planning our summer.  And I still needed to go to the grocery store while JJ got his hair cut.  Then we needed to pick up Olivia from preschool and then we had  scheduled a house showing for 2.  But, my friend was in such a bind and so I agreed.  As soon as we pulled up to the drive way we were greeted by Paloma and Sophia (my friend E's kids) and then our next door neighbor Ellie came out of her house running to Olivia to see if she wanted to play.  Oh my I thought instantly, that's a lot of kids with only an hour before the house showing.  Then I thought, since I already had an additional two kids why not add one more and make it three.  At first, I had no idea what I was going to do with so many kids but as soon as I walked through the door my mind was made up - keep them outside.  As we opened the door to the back yard I remembered we had the sandbox full of dinosaur bones from Olivia's party.  So, the girls all ran out to play museum.  Olivia and Paloma were Paleontologist while Ellie and Sophia were the Curators.  It was so cute to have the girls come up with such an elaborate plan.  Once I could tell they were getting tired of the museum I had just enough time to come up with the next source of entertainment - water play since it was such a beautiful day.  I filled two buckets with soapy water and red food coloring and I proposed to the kids that they could paint the playhouse.  Wow, they bought into my plan and it was magical!  The kids were busy painting for at least an hour.  After awhile I brought out refreshing  pink lemon aid, pirates booty and granola bars.  After snack, I had the kids walk up to our greenbelt for parachute time and then some racing to get some energy out.  Once I had them nice and tired (see most kids were laying down by the end) I brought out the play dough.  Three hours later E comes to pick up the girls and so does K our neighbor.  The kids had a blast!  And the truth is I had so much fun facilitating their playtime too!  At times I wonder..should I have been a preschool teacher? Or should I open up my own preschool?


Olivia, Sophia, Paloma and Ellie painting the play house
Ellie and Nathaniel
Paloma 
Olivia and Nathaniel working together
Sophia having fun!













No comments:

Post a Comment