Family Favorites

Family Favorites
The love of a family is life's greatest blessing

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Our MIC-Key Adventure

Nathaniel had a small procedure today to change his PEG to a MIC-Key button. We checked in to Children's Hospital at 11:30 am. And patiently waited for the doctors surgery was scheduled for 1:30. He was in for about 30 min or so and then I was called in to the recovery room. I walked in and even before I could reach his pod area I could hear him screaming and crying uncontrollably. I was so surprised that he was already awake as usually it takes him awhile to wake up, and that it took two nurses to hold him down. As I got there he called out to me "mommee" and continued crying. I held him in my arms, rocked him and sang my favorite song to him, "You are My Sunshine". He calmed down and fell back to sleep for a little longer. When he woke again he was inconsolable and so the nurse gave him a sedative. He slept a little longer then we were taken to recovery. Once at recovery he just needed to take in some liquids and tolerate the liquid. The nurse started drafting our discharge paperwork. She took his vitals and it was then that I asked, "are you going to teach us how to use the new button?" Her response, " there is a guide in his MIC-Key kit just read through that, it's very easy". I could not believe that she had not wanted to take the time to show me how to use the button. And that she was comfortable discharging a child home without the parent knowing how to take care of a medical device - especially for a failure to thrive child who does not eat and nourishment is dependent on this button. I was totally shocked. We came home and guess what I did read through the manual and yes it was pretty easy to figure out however I still felt like I needed some hands on practice. I bottle fed him the rest of the evening and night. First thing the next morning I called Children's Homecare and they sent a nurse to help me. The MIC-Key is easy but nurses please don't send parents home without training.

No comments:

Post a Comment